Suggested Aftercare For Tattoos
1. Remove bandage in a CLEAN bathroom after 1 hour. While fresh the tattoo may stick to or stain bed sheets. Maintain clean bedding throughout the healing process (about 2 weeks).
2. After removing bandage, wash the tattoo immediately with warm water and soap. Use plain Dial soap out of a pump bottle. No soap with fragrance moisture beads or scrubs.
PROCESS FOR WASHING A FRESH TATTOO:
- Carefully remove bandage and tape
- Wash hands with soap and warm water
- Gently clean tattoo using a circular motion, until all ointment, blood, and lymphatic fluid are gone
- Rinse the tattoo and wash once again, gently, until the skin is clean
- Use a clean paper towel to gently dab the tattoo dry
3. Only use CLEAN HANDS to wash your tattoo. NO washcloths, bath towels, bath sponges or loofahs on a fresh tattoo.
4. Once the tattoo is dry apply AQUAPHOR healing ointment, made by Eucerin. Apply a thin layer and rub it in, then dab excess off with a clean paper towel. Use the Aquaphor for the first 2-3 days then switch to a regular FRAGRANCE FREE lotion such as Lubriderm, Aveeno, or any other fragrance free brand.
5. Fresh tattoos sometimes “weep” during the first couple of days, meaning that plasma and ink form a thin moist coating on the skin. This can be DABBED with a clean paper towel. Press the paper towel to the skin and remove. Do not wipe the tattoo or be rough with it. Do not panic when you see the colors of the tattoo on the paper towel, or on your hands as you clean it. This is simply excess ink being sloughed from the surface or the skin. Everything will be fine.
6. Three times a day, and in the shower is usually enough cleaning for any new tattoo. Consult your artist if you plan to do any strenuous activity within the first ten days of having your tattoo. Lotion may be applied to the tattoo as it dries out; however if your skin is extremely sensitive, lotion may cause acne- like break outs so make sure to not over due it. This can be taken care of by reducing the number of lotion applications per day too.
7. Wear loose clothing over the fresh tattoo. The tattoo will not need to be re-bandaged except in rare instances. A bra strap, tight waistband, sweaty gym shoe or itchy cotton sweater can potentially create healing problems. Consult your tattoo artist for advice on what clothing to wear/avoid. If you choose to re-bandage your tattoo after washing be sure that only sterile bandages are used.
8. After a few days, the tattoo will begin to form flaky scabs that will fall off on their own. DO NOT PICK OR SCRATCH AT YOUR TATTOO. Keep it moisturized and the scabs will slowly go away. Once again, they will be the color of the tattoo. It normally takes 2-4 weeks for a tattoo to completely heal. If you have ANY questions about your healing, please contact one of our artists at (816) 888-4804. Please do not consult your friends about healing issues, as everyone’s experience is unique. Our artists are more than happy to help with any concerns you might have.
Goodfellas Tattoo Gallery - (816) 888-4804
Missouri Office of Tattooing, Body Piercing, & Branding - (573) 526-8288